WynApse Home Page
Home    Blog    About    Contact       
Latest Article:


My Tags:
My Sponsors:






Lifetime Member:

Problem with Registered DLLs between Main and sub apps



I'm not sure what the technical term is for it, but I have one domain on a shared server and then I have other 'web sites' running in folders on the domain. As long as I configured those sub-folders as web sites using the IIS tool in my host's control panel, things worked just fine. These sub-sites are nothing overly important to anyone, so accessing them something like this: http://www.wynapse.com/Site2/Default.aspx is not a big deal.

While I was developing the BlogRoll code, I had played around with putting the RssToolkit dll into the GAC locally. When I published the site, it complained about the dll not being present, and I simply ftp'd it to the bin directory on my domain and things worked fine.

A couple days later it was pointed out to me that one of the sub applications was throwing an exception. I checked all 3 and one of the 3 was complaining about RssToolkit.dll, the other two were giving the standard null reference exception we all see now and again.

The quick-and-dirty solution was to copy the RssToolkit.dll into the bin folder of the sub web sites and that cleared up the problem.

I assumed that this was because of inserting the dll into the GAC locally, but didn't have the time them to chase it down, particularly since things were then working.

I just finished setting my site up with URL Rewriting using UrlRewritingNet.UrlRewriter.dll, and did NOT put it in the GAC and I've since removed the RssToolkit.dll file from the GAC.

Things worked just fine with the URL Rewriting, and after I was all done, I thought I'd remove the RSSToolkit.dll file from the bin folder of one of the sub applications. When I tried to run it, I got the null exception error again!

So I put the RssToolkit.dll back into the bin folder of the sub application, and I still got the null exception error. I thought about it for a minute and then copied the UrlRewritingNet.UrlRewriter.dll into the sub application's bin folder and now it works fine!

So there seems to be some synergy between the 'main' application on a domain and sub-applications stuffed onto folders, and it doesn't have anything to do with the GAC.

It's interesting that the problem does not flow in the other direction because I have 3rd-party dlls in some of the sub applications that are not causing problems in the main.

Interesting problem, simple solution, maybe it will save someone a bit of debug.
Copyright © 2006-2017, WynApse